It’s well known that humans have gambled since ancient times.
Before money as we know it today was even invented early man played lotteries, placed bets, and wagered in rudimentary games of chance in the hope of striking it big.
However, up until the late 20th century, gaming didn’t change all that much. Sure, the games shifted, times changed, and so did the currencies that were gambled.
But the fact is, the ancient Romans played dice just like the physical casinos in Vegas do today.
But then, in 1991, the internet took form. A few years later, in 1994, the first licenses for online casinos were granted. Fast forward to today, and the world of online gambling is worth over US$50 billion dollars.
Now, the rise of blockchain technology is disrupting the gambling industry again, offering fairer and more transparent gambling using cryptocurrencies. The most popular of these online casinos have used Bitcoin, the original crypto, as their cryptocurrency of choice.
Which Are the Best Best Bitcoin Casinos?
Blokt takes a closer look at some top online crypto casinos in this review and the 6 best Bitcoin casinos on the internet are as follows:
In just under five years, BitStarz has grown into not only the most popular Bitcoin casino ever, but it was also voted the best online casino overall in 2017 by AskGamblers.
So, what makes BitStarz such a great Bitcoin casino? Here are some features which have secured its place at the top of our list:
- Provably Fair – In addition to being voted best online casino, AskGamblers also awarded BitStarz its hard-earned ‘Certificate of Trust’, and it’s easy to see why. BitStarz uses the latest cryptographic technology to encrypt game data, ensuring that game results can’t be tampered with, either by players or by the house.
- Huge Variety of Games – BitStarz offers over 1,800 games to its players. Among these are immersive 3D virtual games including slots and table games such as Texas Hold’em, and a vibrant live casino experience where players can get their thrills playing against live dealers.
- Quick Withdrawals – Crypto users can expect to see their withdrawals hit their digital wallets in under an hour in most cases. This is a revolutionary feature of BitStarz which has undoubtedly contributed to its success among Bitcoin players.
- Support – One area BitStarz has really excelled in is its player support. Integrated live-chat is available 24/7, and should you need to escalate a ticket for any reason, BitStarz is quick to respond. BitStarz representatives even reply to their customers over social media.
At the moment, BitStarz is available in most countries, especially within the EU, but not to players in the USA or UK. Professional casino affiliates will be pleased to know BitStarz offer up to 40% revenue share for affiliates who generate 4 BTC per month.
BitStarz has some great bonus offers, especially for new customers. At the moment, new players can get a welcome package of either €500 or 5 BTC (depending on qualifying conditions) and up to 180 free spins.
FortuneJack is one of the oldest and most well-known Bitcoin casinos on the internet, also established in 2014 like BitStarz.
Likewise, they have some of the best casino games on offer, and great bonuses too.
FortuneJack’s team gained over 20 years of European gaming industry experience before launching their Bitcoin casino, and it shows in the quality of their site.
Here are some of the best features FortuneJack has to offer:
- Provably Fair – Again, like BitStarz, FortuneJack is completely provably fair and uses cryptographic technology to ensure fair game results.
- Fully Licenced – FortuneJack is licensed in, and operates from, the island of Curaçao in the Caribbean Antilles, a well-known spot for gaming companies. It’s status as a licensed entity gives players an extra level of security.
- Good Game Variety – FortuneJack also has a good variety of games, with over 1000 games from 9 providers, and over 50 live casino games including poker, blackjack, and more. Traditional games include all the slots action you would expect from a traditional online casino, with 3D slots too, roulette, and dice betting. FortuneJack games are crisp looking and provide a great player experience.
- Sportsbook Features – Sports fans will be pleased to hear that FortuneJack offers a sportsbook feature with betting available on many popular sports such as soccer, tennis, baseball, American football, and motorsports. This is a feature which only a select few Bitcoin casinos offer.
Overall, FortuneJack provides a great user experience and an extensive array of games. Their SportsBook feature is a great bonus for those who love betting.
FortuneJack’s welcome offers and bonuses are impressive and well thought out, with chances to win real prizes, not just free spins. FortuneJack is available worldwide as long as the player’s jurisdiction allows gambling, although certain games are restricted in some countries.
Cloudbet was established in 2013, making it one of the longest-running Bitcoin casinos we’ve reviewed on this list.
As 2013 was an impressive year for Bitcoin adoption and development, Cloudbet attracted a large and loyal following and has found great success in the online Bitcoin casino space.
Cloudbet offers a range of online casino and sports betting games for its players.
Players using Cloudbet can play using either Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash. Some of the best features of Cloudbet casino are:
- Regulated and Licenced – Cloudbet is a fully regulated Bitcoin casino, with licenses in both Montenegro and Curaçao, ensuring compliance and player safeguarding.
- Secure Fund Custody – All player funds are kept in an offline cold-wallet, which is virtually impervious to hacking attempts. Bitcoins needed for daily play are only kept in a hot-wallet for a short time, after which they are returned to the offline wallet.
- Fair Gaming – All of Cloudbet’s games feature a ‘Certification of Random Number Generator’ (RNG) evaluation, which is conducted by third-party auditor Gaming Laboratories International. This assurance is then issued through the Curaçao eGaming compliance provider.
- Low Minimum Bets – Players can play all games on the Cloudbet Bitcoin casino with as little as 10 Satoshis!
Cloudbet has a simpler, and less cartoonish user interface than some of the other Bitcoin casinos on this list.
Whether players like this or not will obviously be a matter of preference, but it certainly gives a classic Bitcoin casino feel, and stays true to its roots as one of the first crypto casinos.
At the moment, Cloudbet only allows players to use BTC or BCH on its platform, so players that would like to use other cryptocurrencies or fiat money will have to use other platforms.
As a dedicated Bitcoin casino platform; however, Cloudbet is a great choice.
mBit’s Bitcoin casino offering is a fun looking, easy experience with eye-catching graphics and a great choice of games.
Another Bitcoin casino which launched in 2014, mBit has attracted new players with ease, largely due to its 110% industry exclusive welcome bonus.
With privacy being one of mBits top concerns, players can transact on the casino in a completely anonymous manner.
Here are some features that we think makes mBit one of the best Bitcoin casinos on offer:
- Gigantic Game Library – mBit has, by far, the largest amount of games on our list. With over 2000 games on offer from well-known casino game developers, players will never get bored of what’s on offer. mBit also states that its Bitcoin casino games are the most advanced in the industry, and it is committed to expanding its game offerings in the future.
- Regular Bonuses – We’ve already talked about mBit’s huge welcome bonus, which at 110%, is larger than any other Bitcoin casino. But, mBit also has regular bonuses on other games too, such as free spins, and a loyalty point scheme.
- VIP Program – mBit’s VIP program gives players a ‘personalised VIP experience,’ where players can rise through the VIP ranks and earn tailored rewards depending on what they play. Players have the chance to reach the top VIP level, ‘The Moon’ with amazing bonuses.
While mBit is solely a Bitcoin casino, with no sportsbook betting, it can still boast about having the most impressive game library out of all the casinos on this list.
Players can immerse themselves in slots, video poker, lottery, baccarat and more on the mBit casino, with something for every type of player.
It looks like 2014 was a good year for Bitcoin casinos, as our next pick, Bitcasino, was also established that year.
Bitcasino is a popular choice for Bitcoin casino players, featuring a wide selection of games, some of which are cryptocurrency themed, like “Satoshi Baccarat.”
Bitcasino is another provider licensed and regulated in Curaçao.
Here are some of the features we really like about Bitcasino:
- Play for Fun – Not ready to stake real Bitcoin yet, or fancy playing just to learn the ropes? Bitcasino offers a ‘play for fun’ feature on its games, which means you can try out full game functionality before you dive in. The difference is, Bitcasino let you do this without even providing an email address.
- Sports betting – Bitcasino also has an associated sportsbook feature, which it offers under its sister site, Sportsbet.io. Players can bet on a huge range of sports, including eSports titles such as Counter-Strike and League of Legends.
- Themed Games – Most casinos offer themed games, but Bitcasino takes themed gaming to a new level. With over 44 theme categories available, players can choose to immerse themselves in anything from Anime themed games, to Pirates and even festive Christmas games.
Overall, Bitcasino offers a fun gaming experience. Unfortunately, Bitcasino isn’t available for players in the United Kingdom but is available in most other jurisdictions.
Like others on our list, Bitcasino offers live table games, slots, and a huge variety of other games which makes for a fun gambling experience.
A truly all-American Bitcoin casino experience, Bitcoincasino.us is a crypto-only online casino with a decent variety of games.
Established in 2016, Bitcoincasino.us is the newest casino on our list.
Players can expect generous welcome bonuses of up to 100% and an easy sign-up experience.
The features we really like about Bitcoincasino.us are:
- Dedicated Customer Service – One of the most important features of online casinos, as trust is paramount. Bitcoincasino.us has a proactive approach to customer service, offering live support and an easy support ticket system.
- Tournaments – Whatever game players participate in, they’re entered into a weekly tournament based on bet size. The top players, who have bet the most, will be awarded prizes in BTC.
- US Friendly – While some of the casinos on our list aren’t available for US players, Bitcoincasino.us is specifically aimed towards American players.
Looks wise, Bitcoincasino.us isn’t quite as enticing as some of the other casinos on our list. Likewise, some users have criticized the casino for not being clear about where it’s registered or regulated from.
For players from the US though, this casino is a great choice with plenty of games on offer such as slots, Caribbean poker, Blackjack, Roulette and more.
Why Choose a Bitcoin Casino?
So, having reviewed 6 of the best Bitcoin casinos online, what makes a Bitcoin casino better than traditional online casinos? You don’t have to be a Bitcoin maximalist to appreciate the benefits that cryptocurrency based casinos offer over their traditional online counterparts.
The main benefits of Bitcoin and blockchain based casinos are:
With traditional online casinos, even the biggest operators, there’s no way of knowing the house edge, and if the payouts are fair. Traditional gaming takes place on private, remote servers which the players are at the mercy of trusting with their funds.
Stefan Kovach, CCO of FunFair, a provably secure blockchain gaming platform provider, describes this as a “black box in the control of the house.”
Instead, Bitcoin casinos, which run on blockchain technology, provide a transparent and immutable database of code and past transactions on the blockchain. This is why many Bitcoin casinos describe themselves as ‘provably fair.’
Easy and Safe Fund Transfer
With Bitcoin casinos, players aren’t required to provide or upload payment details such as debit or credit card numbers. This carries its own associated risks, which could lead to credit card fraud if the traditional casino operator isn’t stringent enough with safety.
Likewise, for every new casino you sign up to, you’ll be required to input your card details, a repetitive and boring task when you want to get playing.
With Bitcoin casinos, you can easily deposit BTC to your player wallet from any other compatible Bitcoin wallet. Your funds will appear in your account as quick as the Bitcoin network allows, and in most cases, you’re now free to start playing instantly.
More importantly, as long as you take care to get your Bitcoin address correct, your funds are secure, and you can play safely with other punters over the internet.
Faster Transaction Speeds
Once you’ve linked your payment cards, most traditional online casino operators are all too eager to process your payments instantly and credit your account with funds that are available almost instantly. When you come to withdraw your winnings though, you can almost guarantee it won’t be such a fast experience.
Most payment processors will take at least 2-3 days to credit your account with traditional online casino winnings. If the online casino is in any dispute over your winnings, it could also put a hold on your funds, leading to an even longer wait.
With Bitcoin transactions, the speed at which you receive your winnings is limited only by the speed of the Bitcoin network, meaning that most withdrawals are practically instant.
You might be the type who prefers to remain anonymous online or keep your gaming history private.
With most traditional casino operators, you’re required to pass know your customer (KYC) and anti-money laundering (AML) requirements before making any significant withdrawals of your winnings or other funds.
With most Bitcoin casinos, all you need is a wallet address to start playing.
Cloudbet, which we’ve reviewed above, states in its FAQ that all you need to play with them is your email address and some Bitcoin.
When it comes to taking your winnings, you simply withdraw them back to a Bitcoin wallet you control.
Top Things to Consider when Playing Bitcoin Casinos
Whilst Bitcoin casinos offer many benefits over traditional online casinos, there are also some things Bitcoin casino players should consider before playing or depositing funds.
Players should remember that whilst they’re using their Bitcoin on casinos, the price of BTC will be fluctuating on the market.
This means that the 0.5 BTC you just gambled might have been worth more if you’d just held on to it – not something you’d likely have to worry about with a fiat casino.
If you’re buying BTC specifically for using at a casino, you might wake up to find that your winnings from that lucky streak the night before have reduced in value dramatically because BTC has decreased in price due to its volatility. Of course, this works both ways.
Implied Technical Knowledge
If you’re reading this guide, chances are you know a little bit about Bitcoin, at least enough to use it at online casinos.
But a big barrier to the widespread adoption of Bitcoin casinos is the degree of technical knowledge needed to play on one.
It’s becoming easier than ever to buy Bitcoin, but players still need to know how to securely store their Bitcoin in a digital wallet, transfer their Bitcoins to the casino, and cash out back into your wallet address. For someone who doesn’t know what a Bitcoin address is, this is harder than it sounds.
Staying Safe on Bitcoin Casinos
Whilst the majority of Bitcoin casinos are safe to play, there are some which are either likely to offer unfair odds, have slow or inconsistent payouts, or are downright fraudulent.
Players should take time to check that Bitcoin casinos have the correct measures in place to secure their funds, and likewise, ensure that their chosen Bitcoin casino is fully licensed and regulated in a trusted jurisdiction.
How Will Blockchain Change Online Gaming?
Although still in its infancy compared to long-established online gaming websites, Bitcoin casinos are finding great success, especially among cryptocurrency holders who are also interested in gambling.
As the knowledge of the provably fair aspect of Bitcoin casinos becomes more mainstream, players of traditional online casinos may feel it’s necessary to migrate to crypto-based casinos, in order to protect their funds, or get the best odds possible.
To date, for a large number of users, navigating the Bitcoin landscape has been the main barrier to entry. Buying, transacting, sending and storing Bitcoin has traditionally been difficult for those without technical knowledge, which has so far held back an exodus of players moving from traditional online casinos to Bitcoin casinos.
However, as purchase and custody options become easier than ever for the general player, cryptocurrency adoption grows among the gaming community, and people become more trusting of blockchain based solutions, it’s highly likely that Bitcoin casinos will see a huge rise in popularity.